Thursday, April 4, 2019

Penny For Your Thoughts

Has spring officially arrived in your neck of the woods or are you still stuck in between having all four seasons in one day like we are having here?  Luckily, we have been graced with a few warm, sunny days, which is a great stress reliever for any teacher. Especially one whose spring break is still two weeks away! LOL If you are a teacher, you will understand totally where I am coming from. I'm going to have to start singing Bon Jovi's chorus from Livin' on a Prayer during lunch duty. I'm sure the students are going to love it. 😂
Image found on Bing.com I do not own the rights.

So you may be asking yourself, why did I choose the particular saying "Penny For Your Thoughts" for my title this month..  Well, I have been thinking about many things lately. One being, should I continue on creating more children's books or throw in the towel?  For those of you who have read my books and enjoyed them, thank you!  I really do love creating them and I have a book full of ideas I would like to fully produce but between teaching full time, writing a blog, keeping up on FB and Twitter for my author pages, and trying to promote my creations...…… I'm wondering if it is all worth it?  I am so proud of what I have accomplished and it truly makes me happy writing and illustrating, but sadly it doesn't pay the bills and is extremely time consuming.  Maybe I've done it all wrong, maybe I could spend more money to have a more established page help with promotion, or maybe I need to spend more time on social media making my presence known......I just don't know. My job working as a monkey wrangler, hehe, is also up in the air. That is a long story but I'm considering taking some classes to earn a new certification, so I really need a magic wand to make more of me to complete everything.

Now I am neither writing this post to get sympathy nor am I fishing for compliments, although compliments are always nice. Hahahaha Just kidding,  No, I'm writing this to get these thoughts out of my head and onto paper. Possibly, you are in the same situation and can relate or have in the past.  Obviously, I haven't given up, I'm just not sure where this journey I am on is going to go next.  I would love to spend this summer working on another book, but once those precious few weeks are up, I'm back to the stress and then the book is put on hold once again.  I may just concentrate on creating book videos this summer for promotional services and go from there.  If you feel the same and want to create a support group for Adulting is Hard, hehehe, feel free to message me on Fb and we can chat.  If you've read this far, thanks for listening to my whining. You rock!

You've endured enough of the Weird Files my brain has concocted, so let's talk something fun. For me that is anything art related but if you've read my blog before, you already know that.  I am in love with researching resin art and fused glass.  Has anyone tried these?  I would love to but I've heard they are expensive art mediums.  Doesn't mean I won't try small though! :)

This resin/mixed media art image from blick.com is so awesome!

 
I've also added quite a few of my favorite pieces to my Inspiration Board on Pinterest if you want to check them out.
 
Thanks again for letting me vent.  Hope you have an amazing month!

4 comments:

  1. Please let me know when the "Adulting Is Hard" group gets together. I will bring some calming Chamomile Tea, with Mint to soothe upset tummies. And probably some Brownies just because.

    I think that I may have written almost the same post a few times, questiong much of the time if the Social Media demands are truly worth it when balanced against the returns. To me, it is a huge time suck and commitment, but being an Indie Author the only way to let anyone know what I am doing. So a very inconvenient, demanding, burdensome, but also necessary evil, perhaps.

    Burnout is real, and if it's no longer fun, why do it? Because if you are not enjoying the process and your writing, it will show to the reader. Maybe a short break to just recharge this summer might be good.
    In the end, I come back to the fact that writing is my one true passion, the thing in the world that I enjoy most with no close second, the one thing that I would choose to do if everything else were taken away, and possibly presumptuous, but feeling as though that is my purpose here. And I honestly do enjoy the online media interactions with others. It's how I got to know such wonderful people as you, after all. So, while frustrating at times, I just try to keep it in balance and when I feel drained, step away for a bit to recharge. But never with the thought of quitting, because writing is what I do and who I am. I get the sense that you may feel the same way about yourself.

    Hang in there! Take a few steps back if needed, and then the path forward will become more clear. But please know that there is a need in the world for stories and positive work like yours. Wishing all the best for you! Little Red Bear is sending bear hugs your way. 🤠🐻❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rebecca, I loved your honest post today. I know how you feel and it can be overwhelming for sure. I've done all of the above with questions on what I should do more of in this journey. Having a full time job outside of your passions, it's hard to focus on what to do.
    You did say something at the end of your post and it told me what you really love and I had an idea. You said, " I am in love with researching resin art and fused glass." How about learning how to do this art and use it for the illustrations for your stories?
    Before I started writing children's books, researching different styles of art was a passion of mine. Sometimes, we need to do things differently than how we started out. It's how we learn and grow.
    My problem is, I want to do it all which is impossible. Priorities take over, then it's back to one step at a time.
    Like James suggested, to keep more balanced, stepping back and recharging is always a great choice. You will then find out what it is that you really miss in all of this.
    Best wishes always and have a wonderful weekend.
    How many more days till summer break? ;)
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca, kudos to you for acknowledging your feelings and bravo for crafting awesome children’s books these past years (cheering here).

    I cannot add any comment more eloquent than what Jim and Rosie already counseled! I believe feeling like “throwing in the towel” is an occupational hazard on the writing road. It is hard, hard, work, with ROIs few and far behind, imho, especially when starting and working it as a side hustle as so many authors do.

    Since your passion is in art, I also have a felling there is another, more-fulfilling creative path waiting around the corner -:D. You will find it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I feel your pain and can SO relate. The reasons you listed were the reasons I went nearly a decade before publishing another book. This is a hard business and just because you spend more time and money on promotion doesn't mean you'll reap the results you want. If the joy has gone out of it, sometimes you need to take a break. No shame in that! I freelanced and found other ways of expressing myself creatively in the interim. Most writers, by the way, have regular jobs to support their craft. No shame in that either. If you depend entirely on your writing to support yourself financially, well, I've done that in the past, and it is stressful and exhausting. And it can suck all the fun and joy out of writing and who wants that? You are a writer and artist at heart and I predict you'll come back to your passion at some point (it's an addiction) and find your own unique creative path. Who knows where your journey will take you? Sending you my support and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete

Comments: