Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Beating Boredom




Hey Y'all!  So how are you coping now that we've been starring in our own personal Twilight Zone episode for months now?  I've been keeping really busy these last few weeks for sure. In between having virtual classes all week and trying to keep the house clean, the cats entertained and all the other normal weekly chores, the day and work week goes by fast! I hope in this crazy time you have been able to find some positive aspects about it. I know it's easier to find the negative but living in that world doesn't do anyone any good. So even if it is as simple as being able to go to the bathroom whenever your bladder demands (true happiness to any teacher let me tell ya) then so be it!  I am happy working from home even though online teaching has its multitude of disadvantages for sure.


Finding happiness is something everyone needs daily. I love art, books, food, my family and friends and I could go on.  I have been able to sneak in a few awesome reads these last couple of months and created and sold a painting! If you like paranormal reads, be sure to check out the Deadwood series by Ann Charles. The latest in the series came out this week, Devil Days in Deadwood Book 11, and it is amazing! No wonder it is an award winning mystery series. I hope there are at least 11 more! Tip: Don't read in the dark.

Another awesome new release is by author Kristy McCaffrey. If you love sharks like I do, then you will adore this series. Her latest, Deep Blue Coco's Island, is the third in this short story collection but be sure to read her full length novel, Deep Blue, first. Best part is, you can get all three of her Pathway short stories in one collection.

A third must read is by Julie Schooler. She has an amazing book set out now that will Nourish Your Soul.

I also have to give a shout out to fellow #Gr8tBlogs author and friend, Chris Gorges and his wife, on releasing their first children's book, The Fox Family Adventures: A Day at the Beach. If you have Kindle Unlimited, you can read it for free!


Depending where you currently call home, you could finally be seeing the warmer temps like we are here on the east coast. Or maybe you've been experiencing summer temps for months, still having snow fall or  experiencing winter. No matter where you are at, I hope you still enjoy these fun ideas to help beat boredom and put a smile on your face. 


1. Go Camping! This can be as easy as setting up a tent in your backyard or maybe even a tent in your living room! Ha!  The best part of camping is the s'mores! They can be created over an open fire, or done in your oven.  Plus, there are tons of recipes out there if you are ready for something different from the traditional s'more. My favorite is using dark chocolate and adding a slice of  banana along with it. This summer, I'm wanting to try the waffle cone version. Simply fill a waffle or sugar cone with mini marshmallows, chocolate and fruit if you would like. I want to try strawberries or raspberries. Wrap in foil and put over a fire for a few minutes to melt to ooey gooey perfection. Another way would simply be to add your chocolate and/or fruit and top with a roasted marshmallow.


2. Have a girls or guys night out with a spin. Invite a couple of friends over, and enjoy a little of normalcy. Spread out some lawn chairs six feet apart around a roaring fire with a drink of your choice.  Don't feel comfortable with having people over? No problem, invite them using one of the many video programs out there. The idea here is to visit with a friend and relax.






 3. Like to sing?  Have a karaoke party or dance party!  Something you can do as a family or virtually as well. Don't feel like belting one out, maybe play a game like Pictionary instead.





4. Try something new!  Cook a new recipe you've been wanting to try. Read a book from a genre you normally don't read. Draw or paint even if you are not a painter. Finger painting isn't just for kids you know. You can create beautiful works of art without the use of a paintbrush.  You can check out one of mine on my Pinterest page.

These are only a few ideas to help change things up while still in isolation. The goal is to do something that makes you happy. Take the time because it is so important.

Summer vacation starts for me in a couple of weeks. Can't wait!  Finally time to turn off my teacher brain and turn on my author brain.  I'm thinking I want to write a new book this summer!  Want to check out my already published books?  Check them out here and feel free to share! 

Have any other cool, fun ideas for summer? Feel free to leave me a comment! 

*I do not own the rights to the images used. They were found on bing.com.

8 comments:

  1. Lots of good ideas here, Rebecca. Appreciate your enthusiasm! I'll add your book recos to my tbr shelf. Can I try s'mores with camping, please -:D! Not a camper here.

    Hope you get tons written on your new book this summer. (I shared your last shark-y read aloud on my neighborhood's FB group, and the kids loved it!) Can't wait to read your latest tale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am so glad they loved it! I haven't decided if I want to write another book like it this time around or a shorter one. Oh and s'mores are a yummy dessert no matter where you are at.

      Delete
  2. Happy almost summer to you, Rebecca!
    Love all your book suggestions and great ideas for more summer fun.
    I hope you have a wonderful time the next few months creating a new story and more art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You too Rosie! Hope to see some of your paintings soon.

      Delete
  3. Glad you are finding ways to relax and find the good side of isolation Rebecca. I agree, the longer this goes on, the better for me as it is keeping hubby working from home instead of PNG. We are happily keeping busy here too, although we won't be camping anytime soon, it's winter here and the temps are below zero at night now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are finally seeing the warm temps here but just a few weeks ago we were still seeing snow. Hope your winter is uneventful compared to your summer.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the love on my new boxset Rebecca. And you sold a painting? That is so cool. I wonder if that was a goal or a bucket list item. I am off to find something that is s'more-ish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome, Julie. It is a great set of books! I have sold several paintings over the years actually. This one is a little different though because I digitally painted it since I couldn't get a canvas the size the buyer wanted due to the pandemic. I then used a website to have my painting put on a canvas. So we will see how it turns out!

      Delete

Comments: